Thursday, April 4, 2013

Tuesdays with Morrie

by Mitch Albom
published: Broadway Books, 1997
pages: 199

Mitch Albom graduated from college and began his successful career as a sports writer and columnist.  His life began to change, however, when he saw his favorite, and long forgotten, college professor on an episode of Nightline with Ted Koppel talking about his terminal illness.  Mitch decided that it was time to visit his old "coach" and possibly say goodbye for the last time.  What Mitch didn't know was that Morrie would once again teach him more than he thought possible.

I knew nothing about this book, and how surprised I was to learn that this was a memoir of a dying man.  When I started it, I almost didn't want to continue but I am glad I did.  I didn't know that I would get attached to a man that had died almost 15 years ago, someone that I had never met.  Now, I wish I had.

Morrie's life at the surface seemed ordinary, but this books sheds light on the man Morrie really was, a professor, a coach, a friend, and a loved one.  Mitch Albom elegantly shares Morrie's life in conversation and short flashbacks.  The little bit we get of Morrie's past shows a great deal about his character.

Dealing with Lou Gehrig's disease is no small feet, and even though it had me in tears by the end, I am glad I read this book.  It made me think about how I am living my life and what I need/want to change about it to live to the fullest, the way Morrie had.

Stars: 4/5

Praise:

"As sweet and nourishing as fresh summer corn...the book begs to be read aloud."
     --USA Today

"A wonderful book, a story of the heart told by a writer with soul."
     --Los Angeles Times

"One of those books that kind of sneaked up and grabbed people's hearts over time."
     --Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

This is an Eclectic Reader 2013 Challenge book.

No comments:

Post a Comment