Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I read before I was a blogger

hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish.


1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - I read this in high school and though it took me the better part of the summer, I really enjoyed it.

2. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - I read this freshman year of college and it basically took me all year because I was so busy, but the main character is one of my favorite characters.  Her observations are so thought-provoking for being a young girl.  I love it!

3. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - This is one of my all-time favorites.  When I had to read it in school, people thought I was crazy for already having read it several times.

4. Holes by Louis Sachar - I read this in elementary school and liked it so much that I pick it up every couple of year to reread it.

5. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - This is a series that our entire family got hooked on, so we'd listen to it on tape and sometimes read it out loud together.  But we'd always have a discussion after finishing one of the books.

6. Beginner's Luck by Laura Pederson - I found this book because of a book list that I started reading from sophomore year of high school.  I knew nothing about it, but quickly decided I loved the quirky and intelligent main character.

7. The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint - I liked this fantasy novel so much that I made a movie trailer for it in my high school film class.

8. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - This book is one of the books that made me very aware that I really enjoyed sci-fi novels.  I think it's creative and Ender is a compelling character.

9. The Giver by Lois Lowry - This story is one that makes me think every time I read it.  It's haunting nature makes me think about how a world could move toward that kind of living.  I really like how Jonas develops over the course of the book.

10. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - I read this on a teacher recommendation in high school.  The story flowed so smoothly that there were times I forgot this was a true story, which is slightly frightening.

3 comments:

  1. I remember reading Artemis Fowl! I'm not sure where I left out in the series but it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list, I love The Giver and Artemis Fowl as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about The Giver, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    My Top Ten

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete