Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I thought I'd liked more/less

hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish.

Oops.  I skipped a week.  I'll rewind next week.

Books I didn't like as much as I expected:

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.  I was told that this series was the next Harry Potter.  And well, it definitely wasn't. Now I have reservations whenever people relate a book to Harry Potter.

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. It's not that I didn't like this book, I just had very high expectations of it, including that it was secretly a Harry Potter sequel in disguise.  It was very different from her last series, and it was quite heavy.

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Randsom Riggs.  This book was getting a lot of hype when I decided to read it and I thought the use of pictures in this story was a really creative idea.  However, the story itself fell a little flat for me.  I'm not sure I liked it, and I definitely didn't like it as much as I wanted to.  Maybe a second read will change my mind.

Eragon by Christopher Poalini.  I wanted this to be the next Lord of the Rings, but it just was not.  I was so irritated by the main character when I read it that I almost didn't finish the book.  But, surprisingly, I did enjoy the movie.  That must say something about the story.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding.  This book is a classic for a reason, but I could have done without reading this one.  It was disturbing to me, but maybe because I could see some truth in it.

Books I liked more than I expected:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I thought I would enjoy this series, but I didn't know that I would love this series.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.  This was my first zombie book, so I didn't really have any expectation other than I hoped that I would like it.  Needless to say, I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for my next zombie book.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. Aside from the title being extremely hokey, I knew I should give this a chance because everyone said so many good things about it. They were right.  I really liked the two main characters and the mixed signals they give each other.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.  I knew I would love this book solely because it was a John Green book, but I didn't expect to shed so many tears while I was reading it.  The characters in this book are so real, and I identified with them so much.

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.  This book is magical and creative and witty and beautiful.  Who knew a group of kids could capture my attention so fully.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read all of these, but I'm with you on the ones I have. I was sadly disappointed by Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and don't see myself picking up the sequel when it's released. And while I have liked John Green's novels in the past I wasn't expecting to fall so madly in love with The Fault in Our Stars. Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete