Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Top Ten Books: Required Reading

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Funny enough, quite a few of my required reading in school ended up being some of my favorite books.

1. To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee - I read this in 9th grade and loved it!

2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I read this in 10th grade and started to fall in love with it, but it wasn't until I read it again on my own that I really fell for this book.

3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I first read it in 7th grade, when my English teacher gave me her copy.  I then read it for school couple more times: in 12th grade and sophomore year of college.

4. Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo - I read this sophomore year of college for my Child Lit class and loved it! Who knew I could fall in love with a mouse.

5. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - I read this junior year of college.  I had heard quite a bit about the book and now I understand why so many people love it.

6. Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt - I also read this in my Child Lit class, sophomore year of college.  This story is a beautiful one, that I would probably never had read if it weren't for that class.

7. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - In 11th grade, my English teacher gave this to me to read over Christmas break.

8. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie - I read this senior year of college and it introduced me to the wonderful world of Agatha Christie.


Others, though, were a much less satisfying experience.

9. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - I read this in 9th grade and oh my it was a struggle, so much so that I have nearly considered never reading another Dickens book again, ever.

10. Eragon by Christopher Paolini - I read this in college for my Child Lit class.  I think this was one of the few books in that class that disappointed me.  I wanted it to be good, but I just didn't like it.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Eragon was such a let down, especially Inheritance. I love The Great Gatsby and Pride and Prejudice.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Gatsby, P&P and To Kill a Mockingbird! Love them all. To be honest, I liked Eragon. But the series got progressively worse with every book in my opinion.

    My TTT:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2013/10/top-ten-tuesday-12-top-ten-books-i-was.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved The Great Gatsby. I adored The Perks of Being a Wallflower and actually ended up really liking the movie adaption as well. My TTT

    ReplyDelete