Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books to Read if You Like YA Contemporary


hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

1. My Faire Lady by Laura Wetterson - This one takes place at a Renaissance Faire which is amazing!  It's the first and only book I've read that has taken place there.  I love the Renaissance Faire and enjoyed imagining the characters in their costumes and dealing with the behind the scenes drama.  It's a great story.

2. How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True by Sarah Strohmeyer - It's a story of love, life, and drama!  Stick a bunch of teenager in a Disney style theme park and throw in a competition for a large scholarship opportunity.  It's kind of crazy, but entirely entertaining.

3. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King - This story is incredibly moving.  It's about anger and grief and confusion and eagerness and depression and happiness and every other emotion a teenager can have.  It's an incredible look at how one girl copes with losing someone.  It's strange, sad, and beautiful.


4. Looking for Alaska by John Green - John Green has to be on this list.  His writing is phenomenal and this story in particular is incredibly moving.  I love the characters, their spunk and spontaneity.  It takes place at a boarding school, in which the main character makes new friends that pushes him beyond his comfort zone.  And the character development is beautiful!  Plus, it tackles grief and confusion and the wisdom of knowledge.

5. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - Both Rainbow Rowell's YA books are great, but Fangirl holds a special place in my heart because I was the main character at one point.  That was me in middle school/early high school.  Even though Fangirl takes place during college, I still identify with Cath closely.  It's a great story!

6. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - Stephanie Perkins is amazing at cute romances and Lola happens to be my favorite of her three books.  I like them all but Lola's tenacity is what attracts me to this set of characters. (Plus, Cricket is pretty awesome himself.)


7. Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald - This is a good story.  How does one get over their best friend, but finding someone else to hang out with!  It's a moving on story and a didn't notice until you didn't have it story.  I like this one because Sadie takes control of her love life and it's great!

8. All American Girl by Meg Cabot - My middle school heart is shouting from the rooftops screaming for everyone to read this book.  It's a cute story with a little bit of life saving and a little bit of love and a lot of sass!


9. The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty - This book is the second in a quartet of companion novels.  I've only read the second and third mostly because I didn't know the books were related until I read the third and recognized some of the character overlap.  Secret notes, crazy tasks and potential love letters, it's fun to watch these girls figure out the mystery in this story.

10. Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen - I feel like Sarah Dessen needed to be on this list somewhere and of all the books she's written, I've only read a few.  This one was my favorite.  Music and art and summer and unsuspecting friendship, this story has it all!


5 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of YA Contemporary, but I've been really itching to read "FanGirl". I like the concept!

    Great list!

    Top 10 Books to Read if You Like J.K. Rowling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love YA Contemp :) So happy to see Jaclyn Moriarty on a list! I've read about half of these and love them. Great list!
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fangirl is one of my favorites in this genre.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really into YA Contemp yet but this looks like a great list! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Fangirl! I have not actually read any of the other ones, though Vera is on my list!

    Our TTT

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete