Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Like/Dislikes About Romance in Fiction

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Likes:

1. Humor in the romance is great.  One of the things I love about good romances in fiction is the humor that comes with some of them.  When they can make each other laugh (and also me) it's great.

2. Friends that fall in love get me almost every time, especially if they've been friends since childhood.  There's just something about it that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like finally they realize they are perfect for each other!

3. Banter a la Much Ado About Nothing is so fun to read.  Whenever the whit and humor come into play, I know it's going to be a good relationship. (even when they won't admit it to themselves!)

4. The slow burn/sexual tension is probably one of my favorites.  If there's a point in which I'm yelling at my book for the characters to kiss already, then it's usually a good thing.  I enjoy the anguish and denial of characters feelings for one another.

5. I love reading about the adorably awkward characters that fall in love.  People see themselves as people and fall in love with the quirks and oddities.


Dislikes:

1.  I'm not a huge fan of smut and most of the time if I know it's in a book, I'll skip it.

2. Miscommunication is one of the most frustrating things in real life and it's even more frustrating when I can't do anything about it because I'm reading pages of a book.

3. Love triangles are about the most frustrating invention in the world of literature.  Under rare circumstances, they can be useful for plot movement, but most of the time I want to rip my hair out of my head when they happen. (BUT sometimes I love them.)

4. Insta-love is probably one of the most irritating things that can happen because I don't honestly believe that that's an actual thing.  I get infatuation and lust and attraction, but I don't think people just fall in all consuming love with out ever talking to one another.  A relationship has to form first.

5. Anything that feels non-consensual is BAD.  Let me repeat that.  I don't want to read a book that makes abuse a cute or adorable thing.  I don't want people reading a book and thinking that it's okay to act and react like non-consensual touching or anything else is acceptable.  BECAUSE IT'S NOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment