Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Vivid Worlds/Settings in Books

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Vivid settings are something that I love about books, it's fun to remember the ones that caught my imagination the most.

1. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, the arena in this book is just utterly fascinating.  The water and trees are just so intense.

2. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, the entire wizarding world to the most vivid setting that I have ever read.  There is so much detail to this world that I often imagined myself in this world.  Specifically, Hogwarts is just so wonderful and spectacular with its hidden passage ways and moving staircases.

3.The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - something about this neighborhood just stands out to me.  I can imagine the houses that lined the cornfield with the underground shelter.  All of this is rather haunting but incredibly vivid in my memory.

4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. - Gatsby's elegant house is picturesque in my mind.  Also, when reading this book I cannot get the doctor's eye out of my mind.  That billboard outside of the car shop is one of the most memorable settings.

5. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - Lothlorien is one of the most magical places my mind has ever journeyed to.  With the buildings winding around the trees in the elflike fashion it is stunning, incredibly beautiful.

6. The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo - this one is a little weird because this sticks out in my mind because of the darkness.  The absolute darkness of the dungeon that Despereaux must enter.  It's almost like there is no setting here but the darkness is so encompassing, you feel as though you're in that nothingness with him.


7. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis - specifically the Magician's Nephew.  It is one of the coolest things I've ever read, reading the creation of Narnia as we know it is extraordinary.  A lamppost grows out of the ground!  I mean, really!

I guess I've only got 7 today, sorry friends. One would think this would be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment